barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

If I had a lease with someone who was leasing our home from

Customer Question

If I had a lease with someone who was leasing our home from the owner and "our" landlord decided to break his lease with owner and I agree to rent the whole building but have no access to bottom floor until the other tenant is out is the owner allowed to evict me because I paid the old rent amount and not the people who live down stairs rent who he has an eviction started with at the magistrates. There was no new lease written. And I feel that its wrong to expect us to pay rent for someone else who is being evicted and we not have that part of the home to live in.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If I understand correctly, you are subleasing from the primary tenant who leased to you and to another tenant for the downstairs?

.

Does your lease state that you only have use of the upper level of the dwelling?

.

Did you enter into a new verbal lease with the actual owner for the entire building?

.

What type of lease agreement does the downstairs tenant have?

.

Was your new lease agreement for the entire house contingent on you having use of the entire property?

.

.

thanks