Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
7286322

I am a landlord who cannot afford to take a tenant to court

Customer Question

I am a landlord who cannot afford to take a tenant to court who refuses to pay rent and refuses to move out. She has been served a 3 day eviction which she has totally ignored. The paper work is so complicated to even start proceedings even if I could afford to pay. This problem has really taken a toll on me. I just don't KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

Well the way to get them out is via an eviction.

Filing Fees
If you cannot afford the filing fees, you can file something called a pauper's affidavit. See HERE. This asks the Court to waive the fees associated with the case.

Filling out the Pleading(s)
What I can do is provide leads for pro bono or low cost legal counsel that may be able to help you fill out the paperwork. I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory/florida.html

…and another list:

http://www.lawhelp.org

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

http://www.hg.org/law-schools-florida.asp

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.