Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I received bedbugs after buying new furniture new place. She

Customer Question

I received bedbugs after buying new furniture for my new place. She has threatened to evict me 7 times in 14 months. For no valid reasons. Can I sue the owners for harrassment and sue for rent since I have lived here, and at least my bedroom suite price 1500 dollars and sectional sofa 850. And the price of my dining room table I had to leave at old apartment. Been physically attacked here, and my apartment robbed 3 times for approximately 600 dollars. I pay my rent on the first and stay in my apartment most of the time. She is holding a misdimeaner drug charges that was 13 years ago
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can sue the owner for breach of your lease if she is improperly harassing you and interfering with your peaceable use and possession of the premises. As far as the bed bugs, in order to hold the landlord liable, you have to prove that the landlord failed to properly maintain and clean the premises and failed to properly exterminate the premises as required. So, if they had no notice and they did not cause the bed bug issue, they could not be liable I am afraid.

So you could pursue her for breach of the lease and failure to properly exterminate the premises.