Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
17897874

We are renting with electricity included. We just put an air

Customer Question

We are renting with electricity included. We just put an air conditioner in and now our land lord wants to charge us an additional $40.00 dollars a month for putting up the A/C. I told them that was not in the lease. They said the A/C was different and they still want to charge me. Is this legal?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Is there a written lease currently in effect? If so, does it contain any restrictions which would be applicable to installing an AC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is. Nothing stating an AC could not be installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property manager keeps saying that it is something different and that we just need to pay the $40.00 a month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should my next course of actions be?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

They have no right to modify the written lease unilaterally. They can not, with a written lease, change the rental amounts during the lease term.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Your next course of action is to continue to pay the original rent on time. So long as you are not in default of the lease they can not evict you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If they do try then you can sue them for wrongful eviction, as they would be in breach of the lease.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?