Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I had a 12 month lease then went month to month after the 12

Customer Question

I had a 12 month lease then went month to month after the 12 month. I gave a 28 day notice via text message. she reply ok thanks. it only became a problem when she did not have pictures of the property and wanted me to take them and send them to her. I agreed I would do that after my stuff was moved completely out. (not living there and having tvs and electronics still in the place I didn't want my address and picture of our half moved place on the internet) A few days later I received a text fromwhat t he said "brother" claiming he was the owner of the property and he wanted to inspect the property. His name not being on thelease I checked the country recorders his name is ***** ***** the deed. I explained that I didn't know who he was and that I would give the keys to the owner I knew. then the started saying that we only gave a 28 day notice instead of a 30 day notice and demanded another months rent. Will this hold in court? What should I do?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What State is this property in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Utah

Thank you for the information.

You are only required to give 15-day notice before the end of month UNLESS your rental agreement states otherwise. So, if you gave 28-day notice as required by your rental agreement, then you would be fine. Otherwise, your notice is defective if your rental agreement requires that you give 30-day notice. You would then owe the Landlord another month's rent. Click here for more information.