barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I sign a legal agreement to lease a property from our familt

Customer Question

i sign a legal agreement to lease a property from our familt frust.The agreement had other issues but the section pertaining to the rental stated that I would pay $82,000 for a two year lease and that the money was due on June 1 ,2012 which I paid on May 28 ,2012 . The agreement for this was signed Feb 28,2012. Around Febuary 15 I recieved a written notice that my term of rental would expire at the end of Feb and that I had to be out on or before March 1,2014. I moved every thing out but I argued that I paid for three months that they were cheating me out of . Under basic contract law it seems that you can sign an agreement ahead of time for a lease to begin as I felt I had and in that the section pertaining to this rental used the date of June 1, 2012 and it states that this is when the payment was due I feel the trust owes me back $9,900 in rent for the three months I got cheated out of . Am I correct?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

With your written lease, when does it actually state that it starts...Feb or June 1?

.

If June 1, does it state that it goes from June 1, 2014 to May 31, 2014?

.

If not, then exactly what does it state that the term of the lease is?

.

Was the payment broken down into a monthly rental amount?

.

.

thanks