Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My daughters room mate signed the lease as well, but now has

Customer Question

My daughters room mate signed the lease as well, but now has skipped and won't pay her half. What can she legally do about this?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
Did the roommate take her belongings when she left?
What state is your daughter located in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she took belongs. Michigan
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
The lease is usually with BOTH tenants, rather than separate leases with each. If that's what she has, then she does need to make sure the rent is paid in full or the landlord will evict her. She can sue her roommate for any rent she wound up paying because of the breach of that lease agreement.
Your daughter has a legal obligation to seek to mitigate her damages by looking for a new roommate. However, her original roommate is liable for the rent until the day a new roommate moves in. If she ultimately decides that she doesn't want a new roommate, then she'd have to pay the rent going forward.
She can sue for up to $5,500 in Small Claims Court. The court has all the information she needs online, including forms.
http://courts.mi.gov/Self-help/center/casetype/Pages/SmallClaimsSH.aspx
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.