Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in illinois my landlord lives in arkansas i usually

Customer Question

I live in illinois my landlord lives in arkansas i usually deposit the rent into her bank account. i am late on rent today i recieved notice to appear in court for much more than rent it also includes a security deposit that was never asked for when i moved in 4 years ago. i have the rent money should i deposit it and then go to court? Or should i not deposit it?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Deposit it and then go to Court and ask the Court to dismiss the case because you have paid your rent and Security Deposit was not required. That you moved in four years ago and the Landlord did not ask for Security Deposit and has never asked for it until the Court case. If you have rental agreement that shows this, that Security Deposit was not required, bring it to the Court.