Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

Iam a renter with a landlord who doesn't do anything but

Customer Question

Iam a renter with a landlord who doesn't do anything but collect my q is my sewer pipe is broke I've got water in kitchen n in bathroom can't flush toilet it been a week I've been touch with twp now I still have to wait before they issue citation I w ant to put rent in a escrow until it gets fix.?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have a right to send the landlord a letter telling them they are in breach of contract and that if they fail to make repair properly you will withhold rent and sue for breach of the lease or you will pay for repairs and deduct the costs from rent. Those are your legal rights as a tenant. You need to give the landlord written notice though before you just do it.