Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I rent an apartment with a balcony on the UES of NYC.

Customer Question

I rent an apartment with a balcony on the UES of NYC. Recently the building gave notice that repairs needed to be done on the buildings outer surface because it did not pass an inspection done every 5 years. All access to balconies are blocked during the repairs which could take several months. So now we have no balcony, scaffolding blocking all our views and workers roaming on the balcony during the day. They also started 6 weeks after the blocked the access and I noticed other tenants had access during this time while we didn't. Do I have any recourse?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: You can contact the Building Management/Landlord and ask why some Tenants have access to balconies and some do not. If you are not satisfied as to reason for the different treatment among Tenants, then you may have to take the Building Management to Court to force access to your balcony.