Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I had to move to another state from Oklahoma because I lost

Customer Question

I had to move to another state from Oklahoma because I lost my job I notified them in letter and returned the kea. I went to rent a place in Texas where I found work and was refused becas the Apartment s I notified claimed I owed $2000. for breaking the lease rental.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to say that under Texas law, the whole reason leases are used is to bind people to the agreements they make and to allow people just to walk away from these leases would defeat the whole reason for using them. Thus, the landlord would have a right to enforce the lease against you and if you left early in Texas for any reason other than domestic violence, you are in breach of the lease and you are liable to pay them damages as specified in the lease or if damages are not specified in the lease you remain liable for the monthly rent until the landlord is able to rent out the property again or your lease expires.
So the laws here are not in favor of the tenant, they favor the landlord, and even though you did lose your job, that is not legal grounds to break the lease and it is something you have to try to negotiate with the landlord if you want to try to get them to allow you to pay less.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please re-addressIt was in Oklahoma, Not Texas
Thank you for your reply.
Under OK law, the only reasons you can break a lease, other than domestic violence, would be if you are going into active duty military, if the landlord had breached the lease with you first and did not provide a habitable premises or if the landlord did something else in violation of the lease. So absent the landlord breaching the lease first, loss of job is not a legal ground in OK either to break a lease. Again, if it were then your lease would really be meaningless and there would be no need to use one because you could just walk away at any time without consequences for the agreement you made.