CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

IWAS DECEIVED 11 YRS AGO WHEN I PURCHASED A HOME. IWAS NOT

Customer Question

IWAS DECEIVED 11 YRS AGO WHEN I PURCHASED A HOME. IWAS NOT DISCLOSED THE HOUSE WAS A 2 PLUS 2 BUT SOLD AS A 3..THE REASON I DID NOT KNOW THIS FOR 11 YEARS IS IT IS A RENTAL AND THE 3RD BEDROOM NOW FALLING APART CAUSING DANGEROUS LIVING FOR MY TENTANTS. I WAS TOLD THIS BEDROOM WAS PERMITTED.WHEN IT COLLAPED I CALLED COUNTY TO PULL PERMIT THERE WASNT ONE. WHAT CAN I DO
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to learn of this matter, you may still have a cause of action for fraud (the "delayed discovery rule" permits a victim of fraud some additional time, as the 2 year statute "accrues" (starts) when the plaintiff "knows, or reasonably should have known" of the fraudulent condition.

Due to the complexity of these 'delayed discovery' claims (keep in mind you are fighting a very strong statute of limitations defense), I highly recommend that you retain a civil litigation attorney. Fortunately the majority of these attorneys will provide you with a free consultation, and many will represent you on a contingency basis (they will advance the costs of litigation and legal services in exchange for a portion of your successful settlement or judgment).

You can find local attorneys using the State and Local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).