Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

My tenant asked ot extend the lease to a new date, from June

Customer Question

My tenant asked ot extend the lease to a new date, from June 1st to August 1st, in an email. I agreed, in an email. Then my tenant decided to move out earlier, and gave a 30 days notice to move out July 1st.
I told her we could let her off, if a new tenant was found to move in by July 1st. I had to make special travel arrangements to be there when she moved out (I was on the east coast and had planned to return by July 28th, to accomodate the move out date of August 1st)
Can I make her responsible for all or part of the extra cost I incurred because she changed her plans?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Did you and the tenant sign a written agreement for the extension of the term?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have 2 emails from her requesting to stay until August 1st.
Thank you for your follow up.
Generally, while an email exchange can be entered into evidence during the trial in court, it is not likely that the judge would consider such exchange legally binding, unless there was an actual lease extension signed by both tenant and the landlord.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!