Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

Can a landlord re an agency a year and a half after leaving

Customer Question

Can a landlord hire an agency a year and a half after leaving an apartment to try to collect monies that they believe they are owed? It is the first time we have been contacted and they are threatening to ruin our credit? They demand full payment and will not accept anything less. I am 66 years old and living on social security income and do not have the means to pay even if I thought I owed the amount. Thanks for your advice.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Landlord is not barred from hiring an agency, but if it waited that long you may raise defenses as to the balance. You may demand proof of debt. Many such cases settle, if needed in court. Keep in mind landlord cannot touch your social security funds. Please let me know if the answer is acceptable.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate me positively.