Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

Police raided a home I was renting. The landlord terminated

Customer Question

Police raided a home I was renting. The landlord terminated the lease. I paid the rent for the month. The landlord is keeping my deposit saying it is the next month's rent. I am also resonsible for the damages the police made. Can he take my security deposit for rent after he terminated the lease? Doesn't my security deposit go toward the damages the Police Department did?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

What state are you from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Virginia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting for response

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If the landlord terminates the lease because you broke the landlord is due damages throughout the remainder of the lease § 55-248.35.:"Actual damages for breach of the rental agreement may include a claim for such rent as would have accrued until the expiration of the term thereof or until a tenancy." The damages for the security deposit can cover damages and unpaid rent but the landlord should not be able to take out future rent as you would not be charged for future rent if the landlord found a new tenant which would limit your damages. The security deposit should be earmarked for part rent due and for the damages to the house. The landlord can sue you personally for any damages beyond the security deposit. Seebelow for applicable statutes and language.
pursuant to a new rental agreement commences, whichever first occurs;

§ 55-248.31. Noncompliance with rental agreement.

C. If the tenant commits a breach which is not remediable, the landlord may serve a written notice on the tenant specifying the acts and omissions constituting the breach and stating that the rental agreement will terminate upon a date not less than 30 days after receipt of the notice. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained elsewhere in this chapter, when a breach of the tenant's obligations under this chapter or the rental agreement involves or constitutes a criminal or a willful act, which is not remediable and which poses a threat to health or safety, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement immediately and proceed to obtain possession of the premises.

For purposes of subsection, any illegal drug activity involving a controlled substance, as used or defined by the Drug Control Act (§54.1-3400 et seq.), by the tenant, the tenant’s authorized occupants, or the tenant’s guests or invitees, shall constitute an immediate nonremediable violation for which the landlord may proceed to terminate the tenancy without the necessity of waiting for a conviction of any criminal offense that may arise out of the same actions. In order to obtain an order of possession from a court of competent jurisdiction terminating the tenancy for illegal drug activity or for any other action that involves or constitutes a criminal or willful act, the landlord shall prove any such violations by a preponderance of the evidence. However, where the illegal drug activity is engaged in by a tenant’s authorized occupants, or guests or invitees, the tenant shall be presumed to have knowledge of such illegal drug activity unless the presumption is rebutted by a preponderance of the evidence. The initial hearing on the landlord's action for immediate possession of the premises shall be held within 15 calendar days from the date of service on the tenant; however, the court shall order an earlier hearing when emergency conditions are alleged to exist upon the premises which constitute an immediate threat to the health or safety of the other tenants. After the initial hearing, if the matter is scheduled for a subsequent hearing or for a contested trial, the court, to the extent practicable, shall order that the matter be given priority on the court's docket. Such subsequent hearing or contested trial shall be heard no later than 30 days from the date of service on the tenant. During the interim period between the date of the initial hearing and the date of any subsequent hearing or contested trial, the court may afford any further remedy or relief as is necessary to protect the interests of parties to the proceeding or the interests of any other tenant residing on the premises. Failure by the court to hold either of the hearings within the time limits set out herein shall not be a basis for dismissal of the case.

G. Except as provided in this chapter, the landlord may recover damages and obtain injunctive relief for any noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement or § 55-248.16. The landlord shall be entitled to recover reasonable attorneys' fees unless the tenant proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the failure of the tenant to pay rent or vacate the premises was reasonable. If the rental agreement provides for the payment

of reasonable attorneys' fees in the event of a breach of the agreement or noncompliance by the tenant, the landlord shall be entitled to recover and the court shall award reasonable attorneys' fees in any action based upon the tenancy in which the landlord prevails, including but not limited to actions for damages to the dwelling unit or

premises, or additional rent, regardless of any previous action to obtain possession or rent, unless in any such action, the tenant proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the tenant's failure to pay rent or vacate was reasonable.

§ 55-248.35. Remedy after termination.

If the rental agreement is terminated, the landlord may have a claim for possession and for rent and a separate claim for actual damages for breach of the rental agreement, reasonable attorney's fees as provided in § 55-248.31, and the cost of service of any notice under § 55-225 or § 55-248.31 or process by a sheriff or private process server

which cost shall not exceed the amount authorized by § 55-248.31:1, which claims may be enforced, without limitation, by the institution of an action for unlawful detainer. Actual damages for breach of the rental agreement may include a claim for such rent as would have accrued until the expiration of the term thereof or until a tenancy

pursuant to a new rental agreement commences, whichever first occurs; provided that nothing herein contained shall diminish the duty of the landlord to mitigate actual damages for breach of the rental agreement. In obtaining post

possession judgments for actual damages as defined herein, the landlord shall not seek a judgment for accelerated

rent through the end of the term of the tenancy. In any unlawful detainer action brought by the landlord, this section shall not be construed to prevent the landlord from being granted by the court a simultaneous judgment for money due and for possession of the premises without a credit for any security deposit. Upon the tenant vacating the premises either voluntarily or by a writ of possession, security deposits shall be credited to the tenants' account by the landlord in accordance with the requirements of § 55-248.15:1.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Do you need help with the rating system? We answer these questions with the expectation that our work will be compensated by the site. Without your positive rating that won't happen, so if you could take the extra step and help me out, I would appreciate it. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Any chance for a positive rating?