CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I gave 10 day notice to my renters to move paying the rent.

Customer Question

I gave 10 day notice to my renters to move for not paying the rent. They moved most of their stuff out but left a bunch. They locked up the house and said they had 30 days to get the rest out. Can I legally go into the home and change the locks. They owe money for July and now august.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

No, you cannot use "self help" measures, you need to actually go through the unlawful detainer process to remove their property.

They are not correct regarding their claim of an additional 30 days, and they are liable for all of the rent, while they are occupying the unit (either physically or with their items), but you do need to actually go to court to get a judgment to regain possession. (alternatively you can wait out the 30 days if you believe they will actually remove their items, it may take less time and be less costly to you than going to court, you can always sue them for money damages afterward).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill