KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
8989662

I recently signed a new lease on a "no-fee" aparment

Customer Question

I recently signed a new lease on a "no-fee" aparment building in NYC. My wife is not on the lease. She mistakenly docu-signed a broker agreement. Because my wife and I are living in the apartment, am I obligated to pay my wife's broker fee?
My wife's broker never explained to my wife how a "no-fee" listing in NYC works - or his agreement for that matter.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.
Sorry to hear about this. It is not an uncommon thing for brokers in NYC to trick tenants.
Technically she would be bound because she lives with you so she is subject to the lease as well. However, I would just submit a letter to the real estate agency and explain the situation and say that you refuse to pay the fee, and that this is the end of the matter.
These brokers understand that it isn't worth dealing with a major issue just for a broker fee, so will often be willing to work things out. Plus they also know that you can file an ethical claim against their license, and they don't want that.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Take care,
Kim
Hello there,
Just reaching out to remind you that I have answered your question.
Please take a look at your answer and let me know if you have any follow up questions. If not, please close it out so that I get paid for my work with you.
Thank you and take care,
Kim
Thanks for using Just Answer. I see that you were able to read all of my responses.
Please close out your question so that the system will not keep your money, which will enable me also to get paid for my time working with you. I also won't get paid unless I receive positive feedback.
Thanks so much and take care,
Kim
Thanks for using Just Answer.
Thanks so much and take care,
Kim