Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

I am in a lease years and my landlord died. The trust

Customer Question

I am in a lease for 5 years and my landlord died. The trust company that has taken over his estate wants me to move. They also do not have copy of that because I have it. The landlord and myself had just finished and I was to run copies and mail them to
him. My question is do I have to move? In the lease agreement there is no statement on if he sales that I have to move he wanted me to live in this house. My rent is on
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
In a word: No. When rental property transfers ownership, the lease transfers to the new owner. The trust company is bound by the same terms and conditions as the original lease.
You could offer to let them buy you out, for an amount of money you feel is reasonable (including your security deposit). But you don't have to negotiate, and you don't have to move. You can stay and continue paying rent until the 5 years is up.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.