housinglawyer
housinglawyer, Attorney
Experience:  12 years experience in housing matters
16356563

I just purchased my first home (Illinois). It's an

Customer Question

I just purchased my first home (Illinois). It's an owner-occupied duplex. July 31 was my closing date.
My tenants upstairs just notified me that they have a bed bug problem, and that it came from the former tenant in the space I live in now. They claim that two weeks before moving in, there was a terminix truck outside treating my portion of the building, but they did not treat their apartment, and due to this, the bed bugs moved upstairs.
I spoke with the Seller, his maintenance guy, and all three major pest control companies, and there is no record of pest control services ordered or performed it this location.
Since the tenant introduced them to the space, and since I just took over the property, who is responsible for the Bed Bug elimination?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  housinglawyer replied 1 year ago.

This is an unfortunate situation, typically as the new owner you would be liable for the bed bugs, unless your contract of sale specifically stated that the seller or former owner would indemnify you of any preexisting damages to the property.

Typically before a sale or purchase a termite report or condition report should have been made to see if any such issues exist, and your Attorney may want to send a letter to the sellers, and advise them to pay for some of the costs associated with its removal.