Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Landlord Tenant issues
19127644

My roommate and I rented an apartment in September 2014. In

Customer Question

My roommate and I rented an apartment in September 2014. In May 2015, after reassuring me verbally many times that he was, in fact, not leaving the apartment, he did anyway. (The reason it even came up was because he was spending more and more time out of the apartment to where he literally didn't come back for days on end.) He owes $125 in back rent/utilities for the time that he was still here and by my estimate, $1,520 for the remainder of his share of the lease. In addition to this, he still has property of mine in his possession that he knows he has and has acknowledged it to the amount of approximately $50. I feel that he should also pay my moving fees also as I would not have incurred these fees if he hadn't bailed on our lease. Our lease was up August 2nd, and he has yet to turn in his apartment keys or the gate pass for our complex (we are a gated community from 7pm-3am). The keys are $25 and the gate pass is $35. He is unreachable by text or phone; he simply does not answer.
I had to take a second job to cover his share of the rent and as a result had to give up my pet to a friend to care for since I couldn't provide for her adequately. The majority of my time is taken up with working one job or the other with little time for myself or for a social life. My primary job has suffered but thankfully, my supervisors have been very gracious in allowing me some slack due to the circumstances.
Do I have a case or am I asking for too much?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for he information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. If your roommate was on the lease or you can establish that you had an agreement to share expenses, then you can file suit in small claims court for the expenses you mentioned. The process is fairly simple and you can read more about it by going to: http://courts.mi.gov/Self-help/center/casetype/Pages/SmallClaimsSH.aspx

If you prevail in your case you can also ask the court to award you court costs and reasonable attorneys fees for the time you spent pursuing the case.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 5th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.