Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My landlord changed management companies on the 31st of the

Customer Question

my landlord changed management companies on the 31st of the month. Got a letter from "new" company on the 30th dated the 27th stating "effective immediately....all rent is to be mailed to their address. My rent is due on the 1st and has already been mailed to former management company. Is this notice proper?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: No, the Notice is not proper. The Notice should have gone out way before the first to give all Tenants the opportunity to send their August rent to the new address.
You need to send a letter to the new company that their notice is not timely—that their notice came after you have already mailed your August rent check to the former management company and that they need to contact the former management company about the payment.