Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

Is texting your landlords phone considered a written

Customer Question

Is texting your landlords phone considered a written statement as long as it shows the problem and asking for a remedy along with pictures of the problem. As long as it shows date and time it was sent.?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Again, this is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship
Written Notice would be as defined in the lease. If there is no definition in your lease, the normal and ordinary meaning would prevail, but recently judges have been accepting text messages that are printed out, and printed emails, especially if it is obvious you got the notice and when.
Judges can accept anything they want as proof or evidence so don't be surprised if the text is acceptable as written notice, especially there was a reply to the text, and if the tenant can print out the whole conversation, its really hard to argue with obvious facts.
See following statute:
RCW 59.18.020
Rights and remedies — Obligation of good faith imposed.
Every duty under this chapter and every act which must be performed as a condition precedent to the exercise of a right or remedy under this chapter imposes an obligation of good faith in its performance or enforcement.
Please let me know if you have any further questions or let me know if you would like additional services. If not, please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my work. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic).
I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please do not forget to positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
Do you need help with the rating system? We answer these questions with the expectation that our work will be compensated by the site. Without your positive rating that won't happen, so if you could take the extra step and help me out, I would appreciate it. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.