socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I stayed over my lease which expired in May, with my landlord's

Customer Question

I stayed over my lease which expired in May, with my landlord's permission, for two months (2 terms). Is the 60 day notice requirement from our original lease still enforceable even though the lease expired? Im in California
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
If you have resided in the property for at least one year (365 days; 366 if a leap year), then you are entitled to 60-day written notice of termination of a periodic (month-to-month) tenancy. This has nothing to do with your lease. It's required by Cal. Civil Code 1946.1(a). Otherwise, only 30-days notice of termination is required. Note that the above applies only to the landlord. The tenant can always terminate the lease on 30-days written notice. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!