Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I got bed bugs in my apartment, but the land lord didn't supply

Customer Question

I got bed bugs in my apartment, but the land lord didn't supply me a safe place to live in.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the landlord did not make your premises habitable or provide for you to stay elsewhere while your premises was being cleaned, then you have a right to sue them for the damages. You could sue them for the medical care and pain and suffering you experienced from the bites as they failed to provide you a reduction in rent or pay for you to rent somewhere else while they cleaned the apartment.
You would need to file suit in small claims court and you do not need an attorney to do so and you can recover your damages from the landlord. You can also sue for costs of you to live elsewhere until they clear the apartment out.
Furthermore, you need to file a complaint with the local building inspector and the local health inspector as well, because they will come and inspect the property and cite the landlord for violations and make them clean up the premises and that will help your suit in small claims court.
If you have further questions, please use reply.