Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My previous landlord is wanting to charge me 1650.00 to

Customer Question

My previous landlord is wanting to charge me 1650.00 to paint the house i rented for 4 yrs. I had noted on the move in papers that the house needed to be painted. They did not paint it before we moved it and it was obvious. Am I still lible for painting the house?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
A landlord may not charge a tenant for reasonable wear and tear. Paint is ALWAYS reasonable wear and tear. It typically needs to be redone every 3-4 years. If you lived in the house for 4 years, you are not responsible for the cost of repainting, ESPECIALLY if the house was not painted before you moved in. Even if you were partially responsible, they have to pro-rate based on how long you lived there. A landlord NEVER gets the full cost of repainting a rental unit when tenants move out.
If your landlord is withholding your security deposit for this purpose, you can sue in Small Claims Court to get it back. But they do not have a right to repaint the entire house at your expense.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.