Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

My aunt is the co signer on my apartment lease in NC. I am

Customer Question

My aunt is the co signer on my apartment lease in NC. I am listed as tenant and my son is too. My son and i reside in the apartment not my aunt. My lease renews in Jan. Can she legally break the lease without my consent even if im paying the rent.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
She can tell the landlord that she is not willing to remain on the lease as a cosigner after January. However, she cannot prevent you from telling the landlord that you would like to stay on, either on your own or with a new cosigner. If you're concerned, talk to your landlord well before your lease is up. You unfortunately cannot require her to cosign again, but hopefully the landlord will work with you if you want to stay.
Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping, even if you have a subscription. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.