LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I am a tenant who rent a house in Lawrenceville. In Jan i received

Customer Question

I am a tenant who rent a house in Lawrenceville. In Jan i received a call from the fire department stating there was a fire. When i got home the fire marshall was here with my 15 year old nephew. His mom had gone to work and left him home. He allegedly was playing with Sparklers (fireworks) which caused my back fence to burn down. My neighbors fences on both sides burnt partially. I paid for my fence and one of my neighbors fence to be rebuilt. My other neighbor had home owners insurance. Now the neighbor behind me is telling me i have to pay for trees that suffered fire burn marks on his property & my landlord is telling me that it is my responsibility since i live in the house. He did not file a claim becayse he didnt want his insurance to go up. The fire marshall even stated that it was an accident as the winds couldve caused the fire to shift and no action was filed against my nephew. My question is am i responsible to pay for replacement of trees that are still standing in my neighbors backyard even when an Arborist stated there is no way to tell if the trees are damaged? If so could i be sued or can i sue my nephews mom for damage caused by her son?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Even if the trees had been destroyed in the fire, you have no personal liability to replace them simply because tit was not through your negligence that the damages were incurred.
If anyone has liability for the damages, including the fences, it is the minor child and his mother.
Yes, you could sue both your nephew and his mother for the negligence of your nephew and the mother's failure to supervise and collect damages for the cost of the fence repairs.
However, as you are not the parent of the child you have no legal liability for the fact that the fire may have left burn marks on the trees in the neighbor's yard, and you are free to ignore the neighbor's unreasonable demands.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doug!
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
My pleasure, of course.
Thank you for your kind words as well. They are appreciated.
Please keep in mind that even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, or you may be a subscriber, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.
Thanks again.
I wish you the best,
Doug