Steven Kincaid
Steven Kincaid, Attorney
Experience:  Experience working with evictions, subsidized housing issues and mobile home issues.
44472555

I have silverfish in my dishwasher, so I went to my apartment's

Customer Question

I have silverfish in my dishwasher, so I went to my apartment's office and spoke to a girl in the office that works there (not the apartment manager). I explained the situation, and she told me she would contact someone to come take a look. I explained to her that I would like to be there, because it is too hot to leave my dog locked up in her kennel all day while I'm at work. She said she understood and would arrange a time for the exterminator and call me back. I did this on Saturday. This morning rolled around, and I still hadn't heard from her. I called the office, and the apartment manager answered. I explained what was going on, and she said this was the first she had heard of anything going on. She checked a few things and told me that the exterminators came yesterday and treated my apartment. I told her that I specifically requested that I be at my apartment when the exterminator came and that I was not notified the exterminators were even arranged to come on Monday. She said the girl in the office checked the box that said I had given permission to enter. I got upset and told the apartment manager that that was the exact opposite of what I asked. The apartment manager apologized and said she would speak to the girl in the office. I feel like this is a breach of lease or Washington landlord-renter law. Should I be taking legal action about this?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Steven Kincaid replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if you actually checked that box, even if you did so in error? If you checked the box allowing them to enter, that would override a verbal request for them not to enter the apartment without you present. But even if you did not check the box and this was simply a mistake on the landlord's part, there is probably no legal recourse unless you can show that you suffered financial damages as a result of their negligence/mistake. Did you suffer any measurable damages? One thing you can do, is simply write a letter to Management explaining your frustration with the situation and demanding that they not do this again. This may, at least, get your point across.