barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have another question. Since I dont have a lease , is

Customer Question

Hi - I have another question. Since I dont have a lease , is the landlord legally can sue me for the rent ? Technically i can just move out and not pay her since there is No lease - correct?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is for my business the restaurant - the landlord never gave me a lease for the restaurant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,.If there is no lease, then you would be a month to month tenant under an oral lease agreement. In order to terminate an oral lease, either side can give a written 30 day notice to terminate and then they can't be held liable for any further rent..So if you gave the landlord a 30 day written notice to terminate, then after that 30 days, they can't hold you liable for any more rent..If you breached the lease and just moved out without any notice, then the most the landlord could come after you for is one month's rent...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havent paid rent in 10 mths so I am liable for that, even if I have not signed a lease?
Yes, they can come after you for that rent if you have actually been occupying the property. There is not any way to get free rent unless you have something in writing stating so.
.
.
thanks