Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

I am currently renting a one bedroom apartment and getting

Customer Question

I am currently renting a one bedroom apartment and getting ready to move into a 2 bedroom apartment in the same complex in 2 weeks. I paid a deposit for it a few months ago. The landlord informed me today that the new apartment will not be available for another month because the current tenants can't move out yet. They are having a house built and the house will not be ready in 2 weeks. The landlord only has one other apartment available but it will cost an extra $70.00 per month. Do I have any recourse?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question. I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Do you have a written lease for the 2 bedroom apartment which states the move in date?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Thank you for your follow up. Unfortunately, without a written lease for the new apartment which specifies the move in date, there would be generally not be any type of legal recourse, since the landlord is not legally obligated to deliver a 2 bedroom apartment on any specific date or at any point.I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.