Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

Can tenants file suit against the property manager instead

Customer Question

Can tenants file suit against the property manager instead of the owner and how long do one have in filing a claim against this individual since /2014?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. For any lawsuit to be successful, you must establish that the management company was the negligent party. If a management company did not know, and could not have reasonably known, about a problem with your property, you'd have trouble winning. For this reason, it's important to notify the property manager of any problems with your rental unit as soon as possible and to keep a written record of these communications. You must also ensure that the property management company is the responsible party. For example, if your landlord called and threatened you or broke something in your apartment, the property management company might not be responsible. Negligence lawsuits against property management companies are called premises liability cases. These cases are typically much more complex than standard lawsuits against landlords or property managers under landlord/tenant laws. It's wise to hire an experienced attorney because these cases often require large volumes of paperwork and lots of legal skill. You will need to document your injury, show that it was caused directly by the property management company's negligence, and demonstrate the financial harm you incurred. Medical bills due to an injury, costs to replace damaged property and lost wages are all examples of financial harms. The statute of limitations is different in every state but normally the standard for person injury is 2 years. See link to look up statutes of limitations in your state:http://www.statutes-of-limitations.com/ Please let me know if you have any further questions or require any additional guidance. Please do not forget to positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
Just checking back in, please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, please do not forget to positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
Any chance for a positive rating?