barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

Is it illegal to turn down a potential rental

Customer Question

Is it illegal for renter to turn down a potential for a rental unit if said tennit was arrested for drugs in a vehicle and then the charges were dropped
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this occurred in the united states Florida.........need answer also in email form
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how soon will I receive my answer and what form will it take
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how about some indication that we have communication going on
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..I apologize for any delay, there may not be many Legal experts online tonight...From a purely legal perspective, it is not against the law for a landlord to decide not to rent to someone if they were changed for a criminal offense but it was later dropped. The landlord has a lot of power to decide who they want to rent to and if they don't feel that the applicant would be a good fit for them, then they can reject the application for just about any reason as long as it is not based on an illegal discriminatory reason. .So they couldn't turn someone down based on things like race, gender, ethnicity, religion, disability or family makeup as those are protected classes under the Fair Housing Act. But something like a person's criminal history, even if the charges were dropped, wouldn't put the applicant in a protected class under the FHA..As for email, I don't have the ability to email responses as I can only post on JustAnswer's public website. But when I want to save something, I copy and paste it into a Word document for future use..Let me know if you have any further questions I can help with...thanksBarrister