barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I live in Wisconsin and my landlord has not returned my $2000

Customer Question

I live in Wisconsin and my landlord has not returned my $2000 security deposit. It's been 25 days, 4 days past the required time of 21 days. I have asked him several times for it back but he refuses. He says he is putting a list of issues together and when he is done he will contact me. We had no check in or check out list. He had forced us out 30 days before his promise of 3 months notice. We left the home in good condition but he says we did not. Now he is saying we caused thousands of dollars in damage. My question is this. Since he did not make the 21 day deadline will all thoses so called issues be allowed in court if it goes that far?
Thank you
David Fuhr
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Did you request a move in inspection? .Did the landlord notify you that you had the right to do so?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No move in inspection and the landlord did not say anything regarding it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Ok, if this went to court, you can sue for twice the value of any improperly withheld security deposit under WI Statutes 100.20(5), but that wouldn't prevent the landlord from still claiming any damages and countersuing if the deposit didn't cover actual damages, not normal wear and tear...thanksBarrister