How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 32029
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a home in Indiana that we left a property Manager in

Customer Question

I own a home in Indiana that we left a property Manager in charge of so that we could move to Texas to care for my elderly Mother In Law. The property Manager leased our homw to a couple that did about 3000. in damage to the home. Is there a way for me to recover the cost of the damage?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Was there a security deposit?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the property manager has it and I fired him because we were going to list the house. I received a call from a lady that lived next door that the house was a mess. I call the property manager he told me it was cleaned up ready to list I had a friend go by check the house and thats when I found out there where hols in the walls and alot of damage to the hme I have photos of before we left it and after all this.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
You will need to sue the prior tenants for the damage not covered in the security deposit. Depending on your agreement with the manager, there may be a claim against them, as well, if they were not diligent in the execution of their management duties.
Since the claim against the tenants does not exceed $3000 you can sue them in small claims court.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any follow up questions feel free to post them. It is never a problem.
Thank you.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions