Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My daughter is in a lease with 3 other girls (all over 18)

Customer Question

My daughter is in a lease with 3 other girls (all over 18) that expires July 25th. My daughter has moved out and submitted a notice to vacate with the landlord. 2 of the 4 girls refused to sign the notice to vacate and will not move out opting to continue to live in the apartment. Money refus to sign a new lease because the landlord wants to increase the rent. The landlord says my daughter and me as co-signer are obligated to continue to pay rent on a monthly basis until the remaining two roommates leave. The two remaining roommates have sublet the apartment to others. What can I do to get out from u dear the alleged continue using obligation?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there --Were all 4 girls equal signers of the lease and is there language in the lease that states that they are "joint and severally liable"? Is the Landlord aware of the sublet to the other people and if so, has the Landlord approved this sublet? MARY