Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

How do I resolve an unlawful detainer, I tried to pay in full,

Customer Question

How do I resolve an unlawful detainer, I tried to pay in full, plus late fee, one day after deadline and eviction was filed? I have lived in my apartment since 2/14 never paid even a day late until I ran into some financial trouble with July's rent. I was served a 3-day to pay or quit 7/7/15. I called my property management company (large 400+ complex no contact with owner just on-site manager) and inquired about the late fee and they said I had until 7/15/15 to pay. I submitted a check in full for July's rent plus late fee on 7/15/15 which they refused to accept saying it had to be check or money order by 12pm, I work out of town and no way of paying on 7/15 before the that time. I paid july rent in full plus late fee on 7/16 in guaranteed funds through a money plus pro-rated rent for 8/1-8/3 through the end of my lease term. On 7/17 eviction papers were at my door and the check and money orders were mailed back to me. My lease ends in 13 days I don't understand why they didn't just accept the guaranteed funds and be done with this. What steps do I take now?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Sir,
Thank you for your post. I believe that you or someone like you posted a very similar question last night or early morning. Was it you, by any chance, or is this a new question? I ask because I responded to something just like this, including the dates. Please advise!