barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

We signed a lease stating that we could only have 1guest per

Customer Question

We signed a lease stating that we could only have 1guest per week with permission..our landlords had verbally agreed that our daughter, son-in-law and baby could visit. Our daughter had a small dog - dogs are permitted - nothing was written as to visiting dogs. The landlords were notified of my daughters first visit and that her dog would be coming. They said nothing. My daughter was going to come again - they said no dog and also no more overnights for my family. They originally said we could get out of our lease with buyers remorse. Our attorney read their proposal and thought we could still be liable for rent til the end of the term. We said that we would be agreeable to leaving 45 days after they find another renter. They came back and said 45 days started today..a for rent sign only went out today. We are not in breach..our family has not stayed..we've paid rent. What are our rights?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If you are not in breach under the lease contract and have complied with the lease restrictions once you were notified about any potential violations, then the landlord can't terminate the tenancy.
.
So they can advertise all they want to, but unless you agree to voluntarily terminate the tenancy, they can't force you to leave.
.
As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...
.
.
thanks