Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

I live in Ohio in a HUD apartment. A math error by my property

Customer Question

I live in Ohio in a HUD apartment. A math error by my property manager increased my rent by $133 a month. I paid this new amount for 4 months. I struggled each month to pay this amount and had to cancel car insurance and cut my grocery bill back considerably. I lost weight and felt very stressed during this time. I was informed of the error and my rent went back down. I was credited 1 month rent of $532. Am I able to receive damages for financial hardships caused by landlord error?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You would not have any damages in this case beyond the return in rent that seems to have already happened. If this was a security deposit you could be due x2 damages but this is not the case. Punitive damages would not apply either as by your admission the increase in rent was an error and promptly returned when the error was ascertained. Unfortunately, you would not be due any damages in this case other than the return of your overpaid rent. See link below for Ohio statutes regarding landlord law. See link for Ohio landlord-tenant laws:http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5321 Please let me know if you have any further questions or require any additional guidance. Please do not forget to positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as this is the only way that I am compensated for my work.
I see you have reviewed my answer. Do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer (There should be smiley faces or a 1-5 ranking on my answer. I would appreciate a good or excellent rating) as that is the only way I am compensated for my work.
Any chance for a positive rating?