LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

My name is***** is my second time here. I just

Customer Question

Hello, My name is***** is my second time here. I just recently bought 'California's Tenant's Rights' book by Portman Brown. First Of all, I live in a house which the landlord lives too. She constantly gets into my privacy, she conducts weekly inspections
because she claims I'm too messy. Not living up to her standards. I told her this is an invasion of privacy. She said she doesn't care. I wish that I can record these conversations but you said that was illegal. Anyway, from what the book says. It's only in
a case of emergency, permission by tenant, making repairs, show property, written and oral notice. She so far as of 12 years of residency, she never done this. I often visit family in another city and this is when she goes inside and goes through my things.
I have notes she writes to prove this. I am going to write a letter to her as talking doesn't help. I know she is invading my rights of privacy. Can she evict me from this even if I paid this month's rent?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Jason,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Your landlord may not evict you in retaliation for you writing a letter to her demanding that she cease the intrusions on your privacy and the violation of your right of quiet enjoyment of the premises that you rent.
The law does not require that you allow her unfettered access to your private areas that you pay rent for. She may only access her personal space and the common areas of the home.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug