CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

My apartment complex is required to have fire extinguishers

Customer Question

my apartment complex is required to have fire extinguishers because the company came out to check twice and I did not have one. I was informed by the landlord that I would receive one. but I never did. On June the 23rd my stove caught a fire electrically. I ran to my neighbors house to use her fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire. no one was hurt. none of my personal property was damaged. Are there any grounds for a lawsuit?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to learn of this situation. Fortunately, none of your belongings were damaged, and you did not suffer any injuries. Unfortunately this also means that there is not going to be any civil claim (our civil court claims are based on there being an underlying "injury" or damages).You can however report this incident to your city health department and hopefully your landlord will be cited for the failure and bring the unit back up to code (if they are not complying with this requirement, it is likely that there are other things they are failing to do as well).