CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

My tenant pays 655.00 per month on a month to month rental

Customer Question

My tenant pays 655.00 per month on a month to month rental agreement. I have raised their rent by 150.00 per month for a total of 805.00 per month due to extra wear and tear. They have partial custody of 4 children that stay in the apartment often. It is a 2 bedrm place connected with other units on either side. Is the rent increase legal? Any other suggestions on how to get them out!
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
What state is the rental unit located in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oregon
With a month to month lease, a rent increase is proper as long as the landlord gives 30 days notice (see: https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1250_RentIncreases.htm).If you simply want to terminate the lease, you can also do so with 30 days notice. This is not an eviction, it is simply terminating the lease (if they fail to leave at the end of 30 days, then you will need to file an unlawful detainer, and get a judgment of possession and it will be an eviction). See: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/oregon-notice-requirements-terminate-month-month-tenancy.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please call me.
Sharon Stumpf(###) ###-####
Dear Customer, I do not provide telephone calls - my hourly rate is far in excess of the small fee charged for this "Q&A" session, and I do not wish to provide the impression that we have an attorney/client relationship through this forum. If you desire a phone call, you can post a second question and post in the initial question that you are looking for "Additional Services" and another expert will provide you with an offer giving their fee for this additional service and additional instructions.