barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I paid off my house back in October 2014 and then like 2 weeks

Customer Question

I paid off my house back in October 2014 and then like 2 weeks later my landlord sent me a letter that I had 3000.00 in late fees well I didn't have the $ at the time so they made a new contract for the late fees which was 3000.00 + 11% interest fee so back in November I dropped my insurance now 8 months later they want me to get insurance but the new or renew contact doesn't say to have insurance what are my rights do I have to have insurance?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I am going to assume that this was a seller financed purchase where the owner sold you the house and you made payments to them...
.
If there is nothing in the new written contract that states that you have to carry insurance on the house, then there would be no legal obligation for you to do so. The entire terms of the contract are contained in the contract under the "four corners" doctrine. So they can't impose any new conditions or terms to the existing contract or modify it in any way unless you agree to do so.
.
.
thanks