barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 15 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I live in an apartment community and I have been accused of

Customer Question

I live in an apartment community and I have been accused of noise violations against the past several weeks for the first time in five years of living here. I asked to see my file because I was told I was in within my right to ask and I was told no because the file contains the name of the other resident and they were afraid it would create a hostile living environment. Is this accurate?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
From a purely legal perspective, the landlord owns any tenant file and wouldn't have any legal obligation to share it with a tenant if they chose not to. The only way that a tenant could compel disclosure would be if there was some type of legal action initiated and then they could subpoena the records for the case.
.
.
thanks