Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Landlord Tenant issues
19127644

I have just moved out of a place that my family and I leased 9 months .We where

Customer Question

I have just moved out of a place that my family and I leased for about 9 months .We where told we could renew our lease again at the end of this 9month period , but the property manager told us that the owners where not going to renew our lease without any explantion .
One of a few odd instances while living at the property , was the presence of motion detectors inside the house( living room, hallway , bedrooms, garage ) but there was no control panel in sight . Here is the kicker . I decided to take one of these down (the one in the Garage) and the next morning I was contacted by property management asking if they could get in the garage because they had a trouble signal in the alarm system , I let them know that I removed a smoke detector ( acting like I wasnt aware of what it was and they said they would come pick it up which they did. Then several times therafter they contacted us about an alarm going off because of something we did, I feel that they where monitoring us the wh
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did they invade my privacy and what can we do?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Without knowing exactly what this "system" was monitoring and to what extent, I cannot say whether or not you would have a cause of action for invasion of privacy. It would be lawful for the employer to have a security system that was set up to monitor break ins, however, if they purpose of the system was to somehow monitor your coming and going or worse, to video tape inside the house, that would be unlawful. It is unfortunate that you are no longer in the home and cannot have someone come out and investigate the set up. That said, you have a right to sit down with a local personal injury attorney who handles non-physical injury torts to see if they think you have enough evidence thusfar to warrant filing suit for the tort of invasion of privacy. Please feel free to ask for clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I received a message that you wanted a phone consultation. Unfortunately, because of ethics rules issued by my Bar, I will not be able to provide a phone consultation. However, I am always willing to continue assisting you in this manner if you have additional follow up questions.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 10th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.