Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

I rented a house from a landlady who lived out of state (the

Customer Question

I rented a house from a landlady who lived out of state (the entire time I rented from her), I lived there for 9 years and 3 months. For the last 2 years that I lived there, we didn't even have a lease! My question is that she sent a letter to me, 30 days after I moved out stating that she was charging me for cleaning supplies, light bulbs and some other stupid things, she did not mention charging me for any damages or anything like that, she sent me about $140 out of $895 deposit, so I was wondering if I have any legal recourse? (There is more to the story, but I gave you the gist) Thank you
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The laws pertaining to invoices and returns of security deposit differ from state to state. In which state were you renting this unit?