barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

My wife and I live in a San Francisco Condo Complex built in

Customer Question

My wife and I live in a San Francisco Condo Complex built in 1950. The landlord owns one unit in the building and will be selling the unit. We have occupied the unit for the past 6 years and the rent was recently increased December of last year. Does the rent increase constitute a new one year term of our lease or are we month to month still? How much time do we have before we must relocate? Are we entitled to relocation expenses?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Has the landlord notified you that he is terminating your lease?
.
.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet only the real estate agent has notified me that the landlord is selling the property. The landlord just asked for my email address though so I would expect that they will be sending the notification via email.
Ok, if your existing lease doesn't contain an automatic renewal clause (i.e. an "evergreen clause" ) that states it renews automatically each year, then when it expired originally, it would convert to a month to month tenancy and would remain so indefinitely unless you signed a new fixed term lease contract.
.
The owner doesn't have to terminate your tenancy in order to sell the property and if they didn't, the new owner would just step into the shoes of the old one and become your new landlord.
.
But if the landlord wanted to terminate your tenancy, they would have to give you at least 60 days written notice to terminate since you have lived there over a year.
.
If the landlord did decide to terminate your tenancy, you would be eligible for relocation expenses as determined by the San Francisco Rent Board under Section 37.9C(e) which states that the amount due per tenant is $5,551 with a max of $16,653 per unit plus $3,701 for each adult over 60 years old or disabled tenant or household with minor children.
.
http://www.sfrb.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1931
.
.
thanks