Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

My friend had signed a lease space in which I occupied

Customer Question

My friend had signed a lease for office space in which I occupied an office within. However, my friend did not pay last months rent due to she was out of the country. This was unknown to myself and another occupant due to we were both not in the office at the time. When we returned, the leasing place had changed the locks. We were told to pay last month and this months rent in order to get the office opened. A cashiers checks was issued but we were told that we know would have to pay $7,000.00. What can we do to get our things out of this office. Neither of us were signors on the leasing agreement.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. If I may ask, under whose name is ***** ***** under? Was there anything in writing? What is the actual amount owed for the rent, and where did the landlord obtain the $7,000 figure, how was it justified?