Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  Commercial and residential leases in NY & NJ & US
18695994

We are renting an apartment St. Pete in our lease

Customer Question

We are renting an apartment downtown St. Pete in our lease we are assigned a parking space 1 per apartment. There is construction going on next to our building so the problem is the construction worker are parking in our spots, we have notified the landlord many many times and still nothing is being done about. Now the apartment manager is giving them written permission to park there, this has been an on going problem since we moved in since March 2015. Also they begin working at 7am which I'm sure the city states no construction work is permitted until 8am what is our legal rights on this matter. Thank you.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.
Has the landlord given the construction people to park in your parking space or just in the parking lot in spaces not assigned? Have you checked with the town on what the standard is for when construction work can begin during the day?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she has given them permission to park in our spaces.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pics and video of everything.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. The landlord is without authority to give access to your parking space to another person. As a result he has breached the lease and you would be entitled to a reduction in your rent since your rent includes your assigned parking space. A strong letter pointing out these facts may resolve teh problem. If not you can take the landlord to court. As for the early starting time, if you check with the zoning officer of the town they can probably tell you if there is a restriction on when work can begin. If there is a violation you can report it to the town directly and do not have to go through the landlord. If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.
I have to step away for an hour or so and will respond to any follow up questions you have when I return.