CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I have been leasing a house (month to month) in Portland Oregon

Customer Question

I have been leasing a house (month to month) in Portland Oregon since December of 2014 . I just found out the house was purchased on june 26 2015. the new owner of the property showed up 3days ago july 4th. and told us we have until august 5th to move out. I still haven't seen anything that says he owns the house what are my rights as a lesee
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
The new owner can issue a 30 day notice to vacate (they assume all of the rights, duties, and obligations of your prior landlord, the seller). If you do not vacate in 30 days, they have a right to go through the unlawful detainer process.However, an oral 30 day notice is not sufficient, they must provide you with a written 30 day notice. If you wish to push the matter you can stay until you receive a formal written notice.The Oregon State Bar has a helpful guide to landlord/tenant law in the state that may be helpful to you in this process here: https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/tenant.htmlBelow is the process that the landlord must go through in order to properly terminate a lease:Terminating a tenancy-1) Notice: The first step in any termination is giving notice, the landlord can simply give notice that they no longer want the tenant to live there (this is usually 30 days, or 60 days, and it can be done for no reason whatsoever, there is no fault, and while the tenant must relocate, they are not being "evicted" and there is no blemish on their rental history), they can give a "notice to pay or quit" (usually 3 day or 5 day depending on the state, and the tenant has this amount of time to pay rent that they missed or move out), "notice to "cure or quit" (the tenant has breached the lease - broken something, noisy, etc. and must stop it or fix it within the notice period, again 3 days, 5 days, or 10 days), or a "notice to quit" (this is a 3 day or 5 day notice that says the tenant has messed up so badly they can do nothing but move out within the notice period - there is no chance to "cure" - this often happens when there is illegal activity on the property). 2) Unlawful detainer/forcible entry and detainer (this is the legal proceeding where the landlord goes to court and sues the tenant to get possession - the tenant has an opportunity to appear and defend the action, common defenses include improper notice, breach of the lease (such as failure to maintain the property - "inhabitable conditions"). If the tenant answers the complaint, the parties can take "discovery" from one another and get additional information before a court trial before a judge. 3) A judgment of possession/writ of eviction - if the landlord wins the trial, they get a judgment of possession and the court will issue a "writ of eviction." 4) Forcible eviction - this happens when the Sheriff or Constable serves the writ of eviction - some jurisdictions give a courtesy notice the day or two before the eviction, others do not, but the end result is the sheriff overseeing the landlord's movers removing all of the tenant's possessions from the property and placing them on the curb, and the tenants are forcibly removed from the property. At that point, the landlord can change the locks and the tenant can no longer return (They have been "evicted").