CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
71563194

I signed a lease less than 24 hours ago to allow a person to

Customer Question

I signed a lease less than 24 hours ago to allow a person to move to my home in in exchange for work he will do - he has not moved in yet and does not have a key yet and we left the move in date blank - he is not answering his phone or e mails and i cannot
contact him - can i void the lease? or resind it?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately there is no "cooling off period" or "cancellation period" so there is no basis to void the lease on those terms alone.However, it may be possible for you to terminate the lease with minimal damages at this point (it is unlikely that your potential tenant has incurred any significant costs in relocating or passing up other rental opportunities) so you may be able to negotiate a lease cancellation with your tenant for a relatively small amount.Make sure to get any cancellation in writing. (For example see: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/sample-agreement-regarding-cancellation-lease.html - you will of course need to modify this to meet your circumstances, but you can get the idea, a clear, concise letter signed by each of you cancelling the lease will be sufficient).